What to Expect on Your Day of Surgery
1) Surgery registration process:
- Check-in at the Surgery Reception Desk.
2) Surgery preparation process:
- You'll be escorted to the pre-op area and prepared for surgery.
- A member of our surgical team will meet you.
- You will be asked to remove your clothing and put on a hospital gown.
- You will have your blood pressure, pulse and temperature taken.
- After you are prepared for surgery, two family members may stay with you. They will be asked to wait in the waiting area when you are taken to the operating room.
3) After surgery:
- You'll go to a post-surgery recovery area.
- After the surgery, your surgeon will talk with your family in a private interview room.
4) Same-day surgery:
- Your nurse will provide you with "going home instructions" before you leave.
- In addition to having a responsible adult to drive you home, you also will need a responsible adult to remain with you for 24 hours.
5) Patients staying overnight:
- If you are staying overnight following surgery, you will be transferred to a private patient room, and your family will be given your room number.
6) When you are ready to go home:
- Your driver can pick you up at the designated patient pick-up location south of the main entrance.