Wood County Hospital Speech Therapists provide individualized evaluation and treatment of a variety of speech, language and swallowing disorders . Some of the impairments and disorders include:
- Apraxia of Speech
- Articulation/Phonological Disorders
- Oral-Motor Disorders/(Tongue Thrust) Disorders
- Fluency Disorders/Stuttering
- Receptive language - what a child understands
- Expressive language - what a child communicates
- Reading/Literacy Disorders
- Cognitive Communication
- Auditory Processing Disorders
- Pragmatic Language (social language)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Hearing Impaired/Cochlear Implant Rehabilitation
- Voice Disorders
- Augmentative Communication
Our Speech and Language Pathologists offer a variety of specialized programs:
- WASP© - The Word Association for Syllable Perception assesses a child’s perception of English phonemes using simple picture cards and a diagnostic scoring system.
- PECS© - The Picture Exchange Communication System is a unique augmentative/alternate training program that teaches children and adults with autism and communication deficits to initiate communication.
- ABA© - The Applied Behavioral Analysis approach teaches social, motor, and verbal behaviors as well as reasoning skills to individuals with autism. It teaches theses skills through use of careful behavioral observations and positive reinforcement or prompting to teach each step of behavior.
- Kaufman Speech Praxis Treatment – It is a way of teaching children with apraxia of speech the easiest way of saying words until they have motor-speech coordination.