WCH Physical Therapy focuses on restoring function, relieving pain, and educating you following a disease or injury. Our licensed physical therapists look to individualize a treatment plan and goals specific to your needs. To meet your goals quickly we have therapists specialized and credentialed in:
- McKenzie Neck and Back Techniques
- Manual Therapy
- Instrument-Assisted Manual Therapy: Our physical therapists may utilize ergonomically designed instruments to reduce myofascial restrictions and break up scar tissue. This includes cupping & blades.
- Instramuscular Manual Therapy: Our trained therapists may utilize dry needling as an adjunctive treatment. A small solid filament needle is inserted through the skin into underlying muscle and connective tissue. The result is an increase in blood flow which relaxes muscles, alleviates pain and improves motion.
- Aquatic Physical Therapy
- Vestibular Rehabilitation/ Balance Training
- Urinary Incontinence
- Pediatric Physical Therapy
The primary goal of therapy is to restore function to your injured area. Restoring function may include:
- Custom Foot Orthotics
- Taping Techniques
Pain is often a limiting factor in most activities. Depending on your condition some of the following interventions may be used:
- Manual Therapy
- Electric Stimulation/TENS
Part of each one-to-one session with discussion about:
- Your diagnosis and prognosis
- Reason for treatment
- Type of treatment
- Proper technique to use with exercises
- Proper posture and body mechanics
- Prevention from further injury
Therapists with advanced training provide treatment for a variety of pelvic dysfunctions including urinary and fecal incontinence, pelvic pain, and pelvic organ prolapse. Pregnancy related care involves pre and post-natal dysfunctions including sacroiliac and low back pain as well as diastasis rectus abdominus.
Individualized programs focus on functional muscle strengthening, behavioral strategies, education in bladder health/pelvic anatomy and home programming strategies.
Use of biofeedback offers an advantage to understanding the correct method of exercising your pelvic floor muscles. Surface electromyography can detect and record electrical muscle activity that can be viewed on a computer. Most people show definite improvement within 6 sessions.
Vestibular Rehabilitation/ Balance Training
When the vestibular system is not working correctly, symptoms of dizziness and imbalance occur. patients referred for Vestibular Rehabilitation may be experiencing dizziness, vertigo, balance disorder, or dizziness with neck pain. A comprehensive balance evaluation is performed, which may include use of Frenzel goggles, to assist in detailed diagnosis of vestibular dysfunction. Based on findings, an individualized treatment program is developed. Treatment may include:
- Epley Manuever/Canal Repositioning Manuever for Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV).
- Integration of all balance senses (vision, receptors in feet/ankles and vestibular information) through multi sensory exercise.
- Strengthening program for key muscles to improve balance reaction.
Aquatic therapy combines the benefits of therapy with the advantages of warm-water exercise. Working in the warm-water environment, patients can discover a freedom of movement that allows them to progress and accomplish more than they often can in land-based therapy. Therapy occurs in individual 1:1 sessions or specialized groups for all ages.
Better Back Class
This interactive one hour class is designed to teach participants how to reduce repetitive strain on their back and neck by applying ergonomic principles to every day movements. Participants will learn how to protect their back from injury by practicing proper sitting posture and bending and lifting techniques.
The class utilizes hand-on instruction and open dialogue for questions and answers. Active participation is required to demonstrate comprehensive class material. Participating will receive a handout summarizing techniques for future reference.
Post Rehabilitation Programs
The post-rehabilitation program provides our patients with a short-term opportunity to continue their rehabilitation goals immediately following discharge from our Rehabilitation facility. This program is designed to help patients transition into an independent program at a community pool or gym. You must have completed your rehabilitation therapy at Wood County Hospital to be eligible for Post Rehabilitation.
Personalized Total Knee Class
Preparation, education and continuity of care are essential for optimum results following your Personalized Knee Replacement surgery. This class is designed to help you navigate the process by understanding what to expect during every phase of rehabilitation and how you need to care for your new knew now and in the future.