Loading ...

Working together for a positive hospital experience

Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding your hospital bill:

Financial Assistance

Effective May 22, 1992, all Ohio hospitals are required by law to provide basic medically necessary hospital level services, without charge to eligible persons. To be eligible, an individual must be a resident of Ohio, not be a Medicaid recipient and qualify according to income guidelines. See charity guidelines below. Our hospital also offers income-based sliding scale discounts and monthly payment plans.

If I do not have insurance can I still be treated at Wood County Hospital?

Yes. Wood County Hospital provides financial assistance to eligible residents of the communities we serve and to those who are unable to pay for medically necessary services. We will also work with you to make payment arrangements should you not qualify for one of our charity programs.

Can I qualify for financial assistance if I have insurance?

Yes. Wood County Hospital’s financial assistance opportunities are available to all of our patients for medically necessary services providing all qualifications are met.

What financial assistance programs are available?

• Hospital Care Assurance Program (HCAP)
• Wood County Hospital Uncompensated Care Program

How do I apply for financial assistance?

Applications can be obtained using the following methods:
Download the Application for Financial Assistance Form.
• Can be obtained from patient accounting staff.

How do I return a completed application to your offices?

Mailing Address:
Wood County Hospital
950 West Wooster Street
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Fax Number: 419-373-4182.

How do you determine what kind of discount is applied?

Wood County Hospital references The Federal Poverty Levels. Other criteria used are the number of dependents under the age of 18 in a household and household income. All of this information helps determine and allocate the proper discount.

What are the Poverty Guidelines/Sliding Scale

The poverty guidelines/slide scale can be found here.

How will I know if I am eligible for financial assistance?

Once the application and all necessary income documentation have been received and processed, a statement is mailed to the guarantor on the account, showing approval or denial.

What if I cannot pay the balance owed after the discount has been applied?

Interest-free payment plan options are available.

How do I contact staff to help me with any questions I may have?

• Questions can be submitted online by clicking here
• Call the Patient Accounts Office: 419-354-8972
• Via email: patientaccts@woodcountyhospital.org

Patient Billing

How can I pay my Wood County Hospital bill?

  • Online – Wood County Hospital offers a secure way for you to pay Wood County Hospital bills online. Click or logon to www.woodcountyhospital.org with a copy of your billing statement. This service is only available for hospital billing, it is not available for CRNA billing. 
  • By Telephone – Call our Patient Accounting Office at 419-354-8972. We accept MasterCard, VISA, Discover and American Express credit cards and debit cards by phone.
  • By Mail – Send your payment with the statement's remittance stub through the mail using the envelope provided. Payments may also be mailed to: Wood County Hospital, 950 W. Wooster St, Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
  • In Person – You can make a payment in person at the Patient Accounts Office Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Payments may also be dropped off in the Registration department after hours.
  • Payroll Deduction – Wood County Hospital employees may choose to payroll deduct their payment(s) by completing the necessary form available in the Patient Accounts Office.

What if I can't pay my bill?

Wood County Hospital is a non-profit organizations and have interest-free payment plans to assist you with your bills. If you are unable to pay after exhausting all other payment options, you may be eligible for financial assistance on your medical bills. For information on our assistance program please download our financial assistance form or contact our Patient Accounts Office. Information on our financial assistance program is also available on the back of your hospital statement.

How can I make payment arrangements?

Payment arrangements are best made by contacting our Patient Accounts Office at 419-354-8972. You can make scheduled payments or we can automatically deduct your payment from your checking account or credit card.

How can I get an itemized statement?

Contact the Patient Accounts Office at 419-354-8972 or via email at patientaccts@woodcountyhospital.org to request an itemized statement.

What do I do if I have questions about my bill?

Contact the Patient Accounts Office at 419-354-8972 or via email at patientaccts@woodcountyhospital.org

I've received multiple statements. Who do I call with questions?

When treatment is provided to a patient, often more than one professional service is required to provide their medical needs. If you are seen at the hospital you may receive separate bills from a surgeon or physician, anesthesiologist, pathologist or radiologist, depending on your services.

If you have any questions regarding your bill from any providers, please contact the provider directly with the phone number listed on their statement. Some of the most frequently requested phone numbers are:

Associated Pathologists 800-288-8325 

CORE Clinical Partners  (Hospitalists) 844-270-6621

Toledo Radiological Associates 800-714-5935

Ultimate Care Emergency Physicians 855-691-9890 

Wood Anesthesia and Pain  877-307-4554


Where should I mail my payment?

The payments should be returned using the envelope enclosed in your statements. If you do not have a statement, payments can be mailed to Wood County Hospital, 950 W. Wooster St, Bowling Green, Ohio 43402. Please include the name of the patient and the date of service if possible.


Below are some answers to the most frequently asked Medicare questions for patients treated at Wood County Hospital:

What are Self Administered Drugs?

Medicare considers any drug given in an outpatient setting not administered through an injection to be self administered. Outpatient settings include the emergency room, outpatient surgery, pain clinic, and observation.

What is an ABN Medical Necessity Waiver?

You will be asked to read and sign an Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN) – Medical Necessity Waiver prior to receiving care that falls in a category that your insurance may not consider covered. In that instance, you accept responsibility for payment of the full amount charged.

How does receiving an ABN help me?

The Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN) helps you to make an informed consumer decision whether to receive the service or item and to be prepared to pay for it.

Insurance Billing

Will Wood County Hospital contact my insurance for pre-certification or authorization?

It is recommended that you contact your insurance plan or provider directly if you have any questions or concerns about pre-certification or pre-authorization.

I have multiple health insurance companies. How do I know who to bill?

Coordination of benefit rules apply. Contact your insurance provider or your employer for help in determining the proper order for billing.

How do I know if Wood County Hospital is in my insurance company’s network of preferred providers?

Wood County Hospital is in the networks of most major insurance plans. Click here to view a list of networks Wood County Hospital participates with. Please contact your insurance company for further information or if you do not see your network listed.

Why aren't all services covered by my insurance company?

Under any plan, there may be services that are not covered because the insurance company may consider them routine, unnecessary or not a covered benefit. If you disagree with how your insurance company processed your claim, you should contact your insurance company for more information.

What if my insurance coverage changes?

You should bring your current insurance card to your next visit.

What should I do if my insurance sends its payment directly to me?

Insurance payments for claims that are sent directly to you, whether from primary or secondary insurance companies, should be used to pay outstanding charges to Wood County Hospital. The check should be endorsed and forwarded to the address shown on this FAQ page. Patients are financially responsible for all outstanding charges.

Why do I still owe a balance if my insurance company has paid?

Based on your insurance plan, you may be responsible for deductibles, co-pays, co-insurance or services not covered by your insurance company.

How do I file a work injury claim?

In the state of Ohio, the injured worker or the employer can file a claim at https://info.bwc.ohio.gov/ You will need your employer’s policy number with the Ohio Bureau of Worker's Compensation in order to file the claim. If you do not know your employer’s policy number, there is an option to search for that information on the website when you file your claim.

If I’m treated for a work injury, why do I need to give you my medical insurance information?

If your claim is disallowed by BWC or put in litigation, we can bill your medical insurance for the hospital charges. If you do not have medical insurance, you can ask for a Financial Assistance form.