Diabetes Education Program
Our outpatient program provides diabetes self-management training by certified diabetes educators and dietitians. We also offer refresher education for patients who have attended before and sessions for pregnant women with gestational diabetes. All diabetes self-management training requires a physician referral.
- Recognized by the American Diabetes Association for meeting national diabetes education standards
- Medicare certified
Call (419) 354-8863 - option #1 to schedule an appointment.
Your diabetes education includes:
- A one-hour individual assessment with a certified diabetes educator
- Four classes spread over two to three months:
- Morning classes: Tuesdays from 9:30 am -12:00 pm
- Evening classes: Thursdays from 5:00–7:30 pm
- Education may be provided on an individual basis based on one's sitatuion (for example: those that may be hard of hearing, those with physical impairments, around work schedule, etc.)
- Insulin initiation skills session with nurse (if included in your referral)
- Gestational diabetes: includes evaluation and individual education sessions with a nurse and dietitian
- Refresher diabetes education: includes up to two hours of individual diabetes education and up to two hours of medical nutrition therapy each year after your first year of diabetes education
Medicare allows up to 10 hours of diabetes education and three hours of medical nutrition therapy the first year. It also allows two hours of diabetes education and two hours of medical nutrition therapy in following years.
Many insurance companies offer the same coverage as Medicare. If you do not have insurance or if your insurance does not cover the full program cost, please contact (419) 354-8863 option #4 to make individual arrangements.
Fee structure: $80.00 per 30 minutes for individual education; $30.00 per client per 30 minutes for groups of two or more.
Call (419) 354-8863 to schedule an appointment.
- Before you call, we recommend that you contact your insurance company to verify if they cover Diabetes Self Management training.
- We currently verify insurance coverage prior to appointments.
- Please bring your referral with you to your first appointment.
- Check in at the Welcome Center inside the hospital’s front entrance. One of our staff members will escort you to our office.